Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Old Palm Games for Free

I think it was about a year ago that I decided to finally stop be a Palm OS developer entirely, meaning no more updates or promotion of the old games I had made for the Palm, because no one was buying them anymore. Then I realized the games could at least be available for free for people to play on their emulators or old devices, and maybe there was still some mileage left in them for somebody somewhere.

So I started releasing the games for free on Arcane Journeys. So far, the first three games I made, The Well, The Great Desert, and The Ruins of Ashkelon, are available for download. I plan on releasing the rest of them over time.

One thing I learned about being an independent developer is that the amount of work you need to do to keep up with technology is ridiculous. People ask/tell me that I should port games to the iPhone, and I'm like, "That sounds like a lot of work. Which may or may not pay off, for some undetermined amount of time... I think I'll pass for now." Who knows what device you will have to write for in the future? Right now I'm trying to focus on the website because at least it will still have a platform to run on in 10 years. Unless the internet and browser become obsolete. Who knows?