Monday, December 7, 2009

Adventure Solitaire for windows

The new version (1.2) of Adventure Solitaire for windows is out, with a great new feature: hover help. This gives you information about items on the map you are hovering over, so you don't have to go look them up in the help section.

Also, as an experiment, I reduced the price from $19.95 to $9.95.

This game is a unique and fun blend of fantasy adventure and solitaire cards. You really have to give it a try to understand what it's all about. I got the idea for it as I was thinking about abstraction in game design. I often wonder, in the creation of games, about how much you can take out, abstract, or compact, in order to condense and intensify the game experience. It is a very different approach from creating 3d worlds for video games, and more similar to a board game design approach where you have to work within restrictions like people's memories, table space, etc.

Originally I made Adventure Solitaire for the Palm Pilot, and it did quite well on that platform, so I decided to make a version for windows.

Several of the other games on my website, 2 of the online ones, and one of the card games, are derived from Adventure Solitaire. This tells me that I was onto something good and elegant in the original design. I really like when that happens.

Adventure Solitaire for windows